So now, let’s take this lesson offline to help you teach your little ones the importance of making good food choices. Here’s a fun (and tasty activity) for you to explore:
- Various items of food, both healthy and unhealthy
- Include cake, sweets, fruit, vegetables, soda, milk, fish, beans and chocolate
- Various magazines containing examples of different foods
- Have all the foods on display for the child(ren) to look at
- Let them touch and smell the various foods
- Go through each one and ask them to describe it and tell you if they think it is a healthy or unhealthy food
- Make two sets with the food — one healthy and one unhealthy
- Encourage the child(ren) to place the foods into the sets they think the foods belong
- Give the child(ren) a piece of paper divided into two.
- Ask them to draw a happy face on one side for healthy food and a sad face on the other side for unhealthy food
- Give the child(ren) the magazines and ask them to cut out different foods and glue them onto which side they think the food belongs
Health and Safety
- Ensure that you have no child with a food allergy when handling the food items.